Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Edumacation...

We haz it! :)

We finished our lamaze classes last week, and I signed us up for two new classes this week. Monday night we took a "Basic Infant Care" class at Winnie Palmer. It was interesting, and more informative than I had expected. It wasn't a waste of time, but the class was 2 1/2 hours long so we were both quite tired and didn't get home until 10. That's a long day for both of us. And now that I have started getting "elephant foot" over the past few weeks...it's even that much more enjoyable to be out and about after work. (Insert sarcastic tone here.) I started getting some swelling in my left foot/ankle over the past few weeks...nothing major, and we spoke to the doctor and she didn't seem too concerned. I haven't given up my Dr. Pepper obsession so I'm sure that has a part in the whole "cut back on sodium" issue but I am drinking more fluid in general (which isn't all that great considering the numerous pee trips at work and in the evenings). It's all for the greater good though - lol. I do currently have two glasses of water on my desk at work. I hope to finish them in the next 45 minutes. (Probably interrupted by at least two trips to pee. Good times!)

The second class, last night, was a pre-natal breastfeeding class. I opted to go this one alone. I wasn't the only one, thankfully. The class was also 2 1/2 hours long - - and more information in one little booklet than I had thought was possible. Who knew there was so much to know! And how did everyone manage before there were classes?! Well, we found out when it comes to BFing, most didn't manage and gave up when they faced a variety of delays or issues. I'm definitely committed to doing this for our baby after researching its benefits. I know it may not be easy, but there's a great deal of support from people I know and people at the hospital so I'm in.

I'm still looking into a CPR class that Shawn and I, and my mom (who will be watching our baby after I return to work) can take soon, but haven't found anything I'm thrilled with yet (and that isn't so expensive).

We have a hospital/OB tour next week and then that should be it. We still need to get our car seat/bases looked at by someone at the fire station, there's that, but for the most part I think, as I said before, we're good to go. I'm a planner...can you tell?

1 comment:

Lynn Dorval said...

YEah!! Good for you!!! And you know I WILL be there for ALL advice including BF!!!