Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update, more progress & news!

So our doctor's visit today was very informative! Baby Katelyn is measuring a week ahead, as usual, at 39 weeks 2 days instead of 38 weeks 2 days, and they are "guestimating" her weight to be at about 8 pounds 6 ounces. I had another internal and I have progressed to 4 centimeters dilated, still 80% effaced.

The doctor I saw this week commented again that the baby's head "is right there", again, which is normal, because she has been "right there" since February. The doctor seemed to indicate this was a good sign, along with the progress, that I would be a good candidate for induction next week. She said she thought I would "go on my own" but that's why my doctor said last week - so who really knows. The good thing, is that if the induction happens, and they break my water before resorting to drugs...then just the water breaking alone could cause the dilation to increase and the effacement to get to 100% pretty quickly. The doctor said if I even thought I was having a contraction or that my water might have broken, to go ahead and head to the hospital. I'm apparently further along than a lot of first time moms that rush in to the hospital. Good thing!

I will be getting a call this week from my OB's office to set the induction date for some time next week. If I don't go on my own prior, then I will have them break my water first to see if I can progress on my own. If not, then I'm sure they'll start the Pitocin. I was told that generally Pitocin makes for very difficult contractions and more pain than your body working naturally; however, it was said that since I am already 80% effaced, it shouldn't be as bad as someone coming in not dilated and not effaced. Let's hope this is the case. Better yet, let's hope that Katelyn comes on her own and we don't have to worry about an induction.

HOLY COW we will have a baby in a week or less!! YAY! And, EEEEEEEEks!

:)

1 comment:

Myrtle's Mayhem said...

Yeah!!! Labor is different for everyone and honestly, for me, it wasn't that bad. I did have an epidural before it was all said and done but overall the entire process wasn't as bad as I had heard it would be. I ended up having to have a C-section b/c Brody was "sunny side up" and wasn't coming out...after like 12 plus hours of "labor"...but it was all okay! Can't wait to see the post saying "SHE'S HERE."!!! M